(1847), an iconic work by Scottish painter Charles Lees (1800–1880), is the
, an exhibition celebrating what has been called “a game of
considerable passion” on the occasion of the U.S. Open Championships, which will be played in
June at the Merion Golf Club, in Ardmore, Pennsylvania. This installation explores the creation of Lees’s complex and ambitious masterpiece, bringing together related works, including sketches, a photograph, and an engraving, alongside golf equipment and clothing that illuminate the sport.
Modern golf’s roots can be traced to the east coast of Scotland, where kings and commoners
have played the game since at least the fifteenth century. With the formation of golf societies,
the establishment of rules, and the creation of annual competitions in the mid-eighteenth
century, Scottish artists began depicting the sportsmanship and pleasures of the royal and
ancient game. Lees’s monumental painting of fifty-four figures clustered tightly around a two-ball foursome match played on the links at St. Andrews is filled with accurate representations of
celebrated golfers of the day as well as enthusiasts and authorities on the sport. Rich with
descriptive details of costume and social customs, such as the young girl selling ginger beer
refreshments to the crowd, the work is a tour de force of Victorian art.
The Art of Golf
is organized by the National Galleries of Scotland and the High Museum of Art.
A larger presentation of the exhibition was shown at the High Museum of Art (February 5–
June 24, 2012); Oklahoma City Museum of Art (July 19–October 7, 2012); and the Museum of
Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida (November 3, 2012–February 17, 2013).
The Art of Golf
is supported by NBC Sports, PNC Bank, SAP, Michael Murr, Edward D. Slevin, Ernest L. Ransome, III, Mr. and Mrs. Michael P. Tallent, and other generous individuals. The exhibition is organized by the High Museum of Art, Atlanta, in collaboration with the National Galleries of Scotland.
Jennifer Thompson, The Gloria and Jack Drosdick Associate Curator of European
Painting and Sculpture before 1900 and the Rodin Museum
Gallery 280, second floor